Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, October 27, 2008

The sweetest thing :)

It's become a tradition for Chance to take Carlie and spend an hour or two together outside. They go on walks around our neighborhood and look at the animals. There are a couple houses that have horses and ducks and even some cute little puppies. Sometimes they just go in the backyard and play catch or soccer. Their latest adventures have included finding grasshoppers and having Chance catch them. It's so cute when Carlie comes inside and tells me all about the "dinglehoppers". A couple days ago Carlie came inside all upset because "grassy" died. Chance explained to me that Carlie had found a dead grasshopper in the yard and was very concerned. He told me how she had picked a flower and laid it by him like it was a funeral. She talked about how "grassy" was very sick and he died. She told me that he had gone to heaven with mommy's grandma and that he was very happy there. It was the sweetest thing to see her really trying to understand what had happened to her little grasshopper friend. It's amazing what she picked up on at my grandma's funeral. She was sad for "grassy" at first but then was ok with it because he was sick (she said he was sick and that's why he died). It really amazes me how she can even understand a little bit about death, how she can grasp that a body is dead but the "person" is still "alive" in heaven. She doesn't call it a spirit or anything but somehow she understands that the body is empty because the spirit left. I love how sensitive she is. She is so in tune with people's feelings and she always has been. When I first got pregnant with Landon and I was throwing up all the time she would follow me into the bathroom and pat me on the back. She'd stroke my hair and say,"just breath, mommy, just breath." What 2 year old does that? She hates it when I am sad. She runs to get a tissue to wipe away my tears when I cry. When my grandma died she went up to almost every person there and said, " grandma died, we're very sad". Chance told me that during the funeral service when they were out in the hall she was crying because she was sad for me. She was upset because she knew that I was sad. It's amazing how someone her age can already have such a great deal of compassion and empathy. I have to say it feels really good when she comforts me in the same way I comfort her. When she's been sick and throwing up I pat her on the back, stroke her hair and say, just breathe, baby, just breathe. When she is crying a get a tissue to wipe her tears. It just makes me feel like maybe I am doing a good job. I know I can't take all the credit for her. I know that a lot of her personality and characteristics are gifts from God but maybe I help bring them out. I don't know. I am just really proud of her. I love how outgoing she is. She loves everybody and introduces herself to everybody. She wants to be every one's friend and she's so sincere. I love how smart she is. I love how cute she is. I just love her. I hope that I am as lucky with Landon. It seems my babies start out being difficult and then turn into angels. Carlie wasn't nearly as difficult as Landon so if it is the way I think it is he'll be pratically perfect in a few months. I can tell that he loves to be loved. He's is such a snuggler and he loves feeling people near him. Carlie is the same way. She loves to be right up close. It does make it hard when I am trying to get things done having to kids that want to be held all day. One of Carlie's favorite things to say is, "I need you, I need to touch you". It's very sweet.
Anyway, my snuggly baby is ready for his late night snack. Hopefully this will be the last one of the night. Unless I just ginxed myself, oops!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Okay maybe I am just an emotional wreck because I am pregnant but your post made me cry! :)

Mandy said...

That was such a great post.. made my morning.