I think Carlie has hit her terrible 2's one year late. She's always had this attitude of "I'm the boss" but she was still a really well behaved, sweet girl. Now she not only has the attitude but she's also gone on a crime spree!
All in the last few weeks she has had several run-ins with the law (mommy). Her first offense... shoplifting. Here's how it went down...
It was a warm sunny day. The beginning of fall. We had spent the morning at a dr.'s office and I needed to do something a little more fun. We went to babies r us to look for a blessing outfit for the baby. I had Landon in the front part of the cart in his car seat and Carlie was sitting in the back of the cart. She's sat in the back of the cart before and we've, never had any trouble but there was something about this day. We walked through the store browsing through all of the the tempting items on the shelves, knowing that our wish list would have to wait. We were walking by the book and movie section when something caught Carlie's eye. Sleeping Beauty had just come out on DVD. Oh how Carlie wished she could have it. But of course, I told her it would have to wait. (Little did she know I was planning to give it to her for her birthday.) Unhappy with my decision, she sat in the back of the cart pouting and, apparently, plotting. After 10 more minutes of perusing I decided it was time to go. I went up to the cashier to pay for the little white outfit and there it was.... Sleeping Beauty, stripped of it's plastic wrapping. Carlie had snuck it into the cart and unwrapped it, knowing that I'd have to buy it for her. Now, seeing as how she was a first time offender, I ruled that she only be charged with the misdemeanor of out smarting mommy. Her sentence... a lecture.
Had I known that this would be the beginning of a terrible crime spree I would have taken harsher action. Her next few attacks were not of theft but of vandalism. The next victim... my bed. The weapon... a pen. The evidence... an orginal drawing by the defendent that permanently remains on the bedskirt. Her next victim was the bathroom. The poor thing never had a chance. The crime scene was horrifying. Liquid soap flooded the floor, sunblock smeared the walls, and toilet paper draped the bathtub, toilet, and sink.
Carlie continued her attack on the house by spreading a bottle of hand sanitizer all over Landon's bedroom floor, tearing down every article of clothing that hang in her closet, filling her play teapot with febreeze, spilling her sprite all over the floor, and finger painting her bedroom walls.
This last attack is her masterpiece. The workings of an evil genius. I am still finding little remains of the victim all over the house.
It was a cloudy day. A chill ran through the house. I was in my bedroom where I'd spent the last hour trying to get the baby to stop crying. I was so relieved when the screaming silenced that it took me a good 5 minutes to realize just how quiet it was. I hollared for Carlie. Nothing. I hollared again. Nothing. At that moment I rose to my feet. Worried that she'd somehow gotten outside, I ran to the front room. She wasn't there. Panic!! I turned to the kitchen and that's when I saw it. The horror. There she was. An empty can of formula in her hand. She had done the unthinkable. She had taken that poor defenseless can of formula and dumped it out all over. Not just in one spot, you see, but she had gone from room to room leaving little piles behind her. i found most of it in the refridgerator. Little scoops on each shelf and in the drawers. I went into the family room where she'd left a scoop or two on top of the tv. I followed a dusty trail to her room where she'd left a few piles in her play kitchen. Then into the baby's room where I found a few more piles. I went through the house with my little shop vac sucking up the expensive white powder. As much as I wanted to cry, I just had to laugh. Only the wonderful mind of a 2 year old could come up with a plan like that. When I finished vaccuming up our bank account I looked over at Carlie. She was sitting on the couch, smiling. She looked so innocent. No one would ever look at her and think criminal mastermind. I sat down beside her, put my arms around her and asked," What were you thinking?" she looked up at me with her big brown eyes shrugged her shoulders and said..."I don't know".
It was at that moment that I realized just how lucky I am. I have a beautiful daughter with a wonderful mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
great writing! I love her!
LOL! Now THAT was a scary story.... haha! Isn't it funny that when our kids do something horrifying like that we still laugh?!?!? They are so hilarious in the midst of all their terror!!!
Welcome to my world of horror. Silence is never golden in my house. Only a sign of destruction and terror. I love Carlie to death.
Nicole, that was so funny, but sad because I'm sure it took a while to clean up. Man I'm not sure I'm ready for a two year old.
Post a Comment