Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

And the hits just keep on comin'

After all that we have been through in that last 6 months one might start to think that our bad luck might take a break...not so. We went to Landon's follow up appointment with his pediatrician to check his weight gain and so on and as we did get some good news (he gained 7 oz, WOOHOO!) We got some pretty bad news as well. Some of you may have heard me talk about his "crazy eyes", well turns out there is something wrong with his left eye. When he looks straight ahead his right eye is looking forward but his left is off to the side. Luckily it can be fixed. Unfortunately the soonest we could get an appointment with the pediatric opthemologist is December 4th. There are two ways to fix the problem. If we're lucky he will only need to wear an eye patch on his good eye forcing the bad eye to correct itself. If we aren't lucky he will have to have surgery on it. My poor baby:(
We still are waiting to see if he needs the tube feeding. We really want to try everything before we do it. Even though he's gaining weight and eating bigger amounts of formula he is still spitting it up and because of his airway problems he is breathing the spit up into his lungs which can cause him to suffocate. He's already had several episodes where he chokes for 3 minutes or longer. It's very scary at night. I have to keep him in my room so that I can help him if he starts choking in the middle of the night (which he does all the time). We are trying to thicken his formula hoping it will make it harder to reflux, but so far it's not really working. We have been giving him prevacid and we have a prescription for reglan which are supposed to help a lot but only time will tell. Right now we are not very hopefull. Call us crazy but we're starting to just expect bad things to happen.
As if we weren't already dealing with enough, when we got home from the Dr. today I noticed that Carlie had a bunch of red pimple like spots all over her tummy...CHICKEN POX!!! I am taking her to the Dr. first thing in the morning to find out for sure. Does everybody know that there is a vaccine for chicken pox?? I had no idea and Carlie's Dr. never mentioned it. So, if she doesn't have it I am getting her vaccinated. Apparently it's something they give when kids turn 1. I'm pretty bugged that they didn't tell me about this. I talked to an on call Dr. and she said that sometimes with other viruses kids will get a rash that kinda looks like chicken pox so I guess it could be something else. Not that any virus is good news. I don't know what I'll do if the baby gets it too.
I have to say that my little boy is so tough. He has been through so much already. Compared to spinal taps and I V's getting shots is nothing but he got 3 shots today. He cried only while he was getting the shots and then stopped as soon as they were finished. He's so brave!! I don't know if he's just getting used to Dr.'s or what but he was so cute when the Dr. was examining him today. He just laid there all sweet. It reminds me of why I wanted another baby in the first place. When he's not choking, refluxing, or getting needles shoved into him he's really a good baby. There is something very sweet about him. I pray every day that they don't find something wrong with him that can't be fixed. I worry so much that someone will tell me he has autism or something that really can't be corrected. I want him to get through all of this stuff now and move on to have a great childhood and a wonderful life. I'll have to ask chance to put that into his baby blessing. I just love him so much and I want him to eventually be healthy and happy.
I know a lot of you are praying for us and we really appreciate it. Keep it up. We need all the help we can get. We also know that so far we are very lucky that his problems will all subside eventually. Some he may grow out of, some he may need surgery for, but so far nothing is permanent. Thank goodness!!!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all this! Hopefully they can correct his eye problem easily. That poor baby. It's a good thing they don't remember this time of their lives later on... Just try to stay positive, as cliche as that sounds! And that sucks about Carlie. I am really surprised they didn't give her the vaccine. I just thought it was one they gave them along with all the other ones. Sam's was. Good luck with that!