Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

BABY BLUES :(

Since the day Landon was born he has had a really hard time eating. In the beginning and after the first time he got dehydrated we thought it was because I was trying to nurse him and it wasn't working. So after a few weeks of struggling with that our pediatrician told me to give up on that and start giving him formula along with a few medications that were supposed to help him eat and not get so sick after. Over the last 2 weeks we have tried all different kinds of formula, all the different bottles, and we've given him gas drops, prevacid, and some other drops for excessive crying. Nothing seeemed to be working. It was getting so frustrating. He was obviously hungry but he was in so much pain that he just stopped eating. I really haven't had more than 2 hours of sleep a night in the last 5 weeks. He would scream and scream and nothing would seem to calm him down. His little body was so tense and he would clench his little hands into tight fists. It was so sad. This little thing was so miserable and I couldn't do anything. So over this last weekend my family came to town for my grandma's funeral and they were able to witness first hand just how hard it's been. My sisters took turns taking care of him during the night and in the morning they were so shocked at how restless and unhappy little landon was. Friday night after the funeral Chance and I took Landon to the ER because he was starting to get dehydrated again. They hooked him up to an IV and he immediately started feeling better. So they sent us away without a reason for why he was in so much pain and why he wasn't eating. So to make a long story short Landon is back in Primary Children's Hospital. On Monday he had stopped eating and was becoming very lathargic and we got really scared because his weight gain wasn't what is should be. In 3 weeks he went from being in the 50 % in weight to the 25 %.
So here we are once again. So far they have found a formula that works great for him. So at least he is eating again. He went from eating 2 oz at the most to 6 oz. He's doing so much better. He has hardly cried since we've been here. Basically only when they are putting IV's in or bothering him in some way. They are pretty sure that he has bad case of reflux but I haven't heard anything about his last test. I am hoping that they have figured it all out and that we can go home tomorrow some time, although I'm not betting on it. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm here for a couple more days :( The poor baby next to us has it a lot worse. From what I've over heard he has cancer. And on top of that he was circumsized and it won't stop bleeding. They have been over there for hours trying to get it to stop bleeding. We are only separated by a curtain so I can hear the whole thing. It's so so sad. It makes me happy that so far we are only dealing with reflux and colic. My baby will out grow it eventually.
It's been so nice to see what a happy normal baby is like. I hope it lasts when we go home. If not I may have to move into the hospital :) Carlie has been an absolute angel throughout this whole thing. She is so easy going and just happy no matter what. I am so grateful for her. I miss her so much when I have to be at the hospital all day and all night and she has to go somewhere else. Hopefully it will all be over soon and we can finally start having a normal life.
That's all for now. I'll keep the blog updated as we find out more about the situation.
I really wish I hadn't finished all the twilight books so fast. It would have been nice to read them now. I read the last three books within a few days, they are so addicting I almost can't stand it.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Nicole.. you are such an amazing mother. That sounds so rough. I can't imagine what you are going through but how great that he is doing better. What can I do to help? Do you want me to take Carli sometime or bring you guys out dinner or what? I'd be happy to do whatever I can!

The Smaellies said...

I am so sorry to hear this, but very happy they may have found a formula that works! Good luck when you go home!

Brad said...

Poor Landon, I hope he gets better soon. I can't imagine, you must be so tired. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Jennie said...

Oh man...I am so sorry about Landon. Luckily, he seems to be doing better so hopefully it lasts! I love your new layout by the way!